Tuesday 29 September 2015


My magnificent Magnolia X soulangeana



Hello all,

It's been a long time since my last post and I won't bore you with the details as to why. But I am playing catch up, so please bear with me.

The class theme for two lessons ago was 'In a tsubo vase'. That's a pot shaped vase with small opening used without a kenzan. This requires the students to find appropriate mechanics to support their work.

Below are three examples of mine:

 
Green Goddess lilies and New Zealand flax









Spent ginger lilies and aspidistra 





















Rosemary and cymbidium orchids


And the work of some of the students:

Nicole McDonald
Bark, bird's nest fern and leucodendron

 
Helen Novic
Long leaf pine and bird's nest fern
Bredenia Raquel
Dried branch, gypsophila and carnations
                             Bredenia Raquel
                    Strelitzia with dried material
                           
Margaret Wilson
Spirea,Bromiliad flowers and Carex Trifida leaves
Janette Fonda
Book Leaf pine and wattle


At last class we had some fun with miniature ikebana. We all did several arrangements each and presented them on some sort of board. A friend of mine, whilst admiring my display, referred to them as little ikebana hors d'oeuvres.

Miniatures appear to be easy but to do them correctly, we must not lose sight of the principles of Sogetsu ikebana. There is, also, the difficulty of mechanics. With tiny vases we cannot fit our usual horizontal or vertical fixtures or even kenzans, as we do with the larger vases, so we had to be a little bit more creative.

I made seven arrangements and I could, quite happily, have done many more.






Below are two examples of the theme 'Using two or ore containers':

Pine and calla lilies
Green Goddess lilies and Japanese flowering quince
I leave you with this simple but striking arrangement I made using a piece of agave that has been sitting in my garage for many weeks without water yet still looks fresh. With it I used some clivia berries.

Bye for now,
Emily





1 comment: