Wednesday 23 August 2017




Hello all,

The arrangement above, with its combination of prunus blossoms and camellias in an antique basket  represents, for me, quintessential ikebana.

Last Monday’s Sogetsu workshop was run by Christopher James, for which he set the theme ‘An arrangement incorporating text’. Christopher added-'I invite your free interpretation of the theme. In this regard the theme is meant to be nothing less than springboard for your artistic imaginations’.


It was very interesting to see how each member interpreted this theme. Many used actual paper with some text on it in their arrangement. As for me, I thought I should find an excerpt from literature and reference it in my ikebana. After much consideration of the various books I read since childhood, I settled on one of my favourite modern writers – Douglas Adams and his series of books ‘The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’. I chose an excerpt which I felt is very relevant in today’s tumultuous political landscape. 

'“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. 
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Here is my arrangement in reference to the above quote. The strelitzia representing the ruler governing the people who voted him into power.


For class last week, the senior girls were given the lesson 'A floor arrangement'. I apologize for the poor quality of the photographs but the arrangements are very difficult to capture when they are so tall and thin.


Bredenia - Siberian dogwood and magnolia x soulangana
Lucy  - Dried strelitzia Nicolai leaf, Alstroemeria
leaves and chrysanthemums























Emily - Palm spathe and alstroemeria leaves




























Nicole's last arrangement of Book 4 - 'Me in Ikebana'
Calla lilies and wisteria

FRUIT AND VEGETABLES IN IKEBANA



Aurelia - bananas, capsicums and egg plant

Emily - mushrooms and spring onions


Emily- fennel and chili
























I leave you with this next arrangement, which came about because I was given  this citrus fruit called 'Buddha's hand' (Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis) by my colleague Lara Telford. When I first received it, I was very excited. However, after struggling for some time trying to find a way to arrange such a heavy fruit my excitement began to wane. That's when my stubbornness kicked in and I persevered until I managed to balance it in this brightly coloured tsubo vase. I like the contrast of the blue against the yellow.



Before I leave you, I'd like to let you know that there is, currently, an exhibition by Ikebana International Melbourne Chapter in the lobby of Sofitel Melbourne on Collins. It will continue until Wednesday 30th.

Also, I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating. If you would like to email me, please don't send it through the blog. Google doesn't seem to work, so most emails don't come through to me. Please use my email address - emilykara@optusnet.com.au and be assured that I reply to all emails. If you haven't received a reply from me it's because I have not received your communication.

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment